- There is a collegial issue. I am Switzerland. Or sometimes the clueless looking guy in the light blue helmet.
- There is a facilities issue. I worry that it is an indication of larger issues.
- There are tech issues. These actually are indications of larger and completely insoluble issues. But they have caused faculty to move beyond biting nastiness right into slightly raising their voices, and reduced undergraduates to tears.
- 1/3 of the students in my upper division class did not turn in their first paper. They will now have to pull 100% on each of their other assignments to get a middle B in my class. But … WTF? Who doesn’t turn in papers? I mean, I know I say I won’t take late work, but I’ve never actually refused anything if the story is good enough and the student is willing to take a cut in the final grade.
- Speaking of late … Nice Book Review Editor, if you are reading this, really, I am kinda working on it and will have it in ASAP.
- I am so far behind on applying for a postdoc that I don’t know if I can pull it together at this point, because I really don’t want to annoy my referees.
- I so have to publish something academic, so that I can get someone in my field as a referee for the next application.
- My FIVE classes are all ok. I like almost all the students, and dislike none. I am not especially fond of one of my classes as a whole, because there are some serious time-wasters, and I am close to asking people to leave. As it is, they are so confused that they confuse me. Er, by confused, I mean that several of them say in class that they are confused, but part of why they are confused is that they refuse to believe that I am not going to reiterate what’s in the textbook, and they won’t do the reading or bring notes.
- I am counting the days (30) till I jet off to fabulous European Capital to visit LDW. I anticipate much enjoyment and much library time. Some day, I hope to have a vacation with him when we are not working or conferencing. Still, it’s good to have someone I can work and conference with. Crap. I have 30 days to read and comment on his MS.
How are your lives?
UPDATE: Because Nice Book Review Editor really is nice, and because my referrees are stars, I think I will be getting in the postdoc app and get going on the review and start editing LDW’s book. I’ve just realised that I can work on that on Monday nights, too, because I teach almost all day on Monday and am usually too tired to do anything else!