Skip to content

Two Offers!!!

22 July, 2005

Two Offers!!

Yes, very rural State U has also offered. And they say there is a very strong possibility that they will be able to convert the job to TT in the spring rather than doing a new search. And they are willing to shorten the tenure track (if it converts) to reflect my experience. Similar teaching load. Reasonable publishing expectations. Really nice people. And I would have to move in the next 10 days. About. But a university job nonetheless. And if I have to look for a job next year, is it better from local CC with heavy load (and I’d be very happy with a CC job in so many ways) and more preps but also with my entire support network, or from similarly heavy load but minimal preps at rural state, where I think I would be happy if it does go TT, but will also be a state U on my Cv if it doesn’t? I have the weekend to reorganize my life. If you know me IRL, please feel free to e-mail advice. If you are one of these institutions, I really like you both, and this is probably the second hardest decision I’ve ever had to make. I will be choosing the position where I think I can do my best — to all of our advantage.

Advertisements
19 Comments leave one →
  1. 22 July, 2005 10:53 pm

    Congratulations! So wonderful to have choices …

  2. 22 July, 2005 11:29 pm

    Congratulations! Good luck, whichever way you decide: I’m sure you will make either choice work out wonderfully for you and the school, both.

  3. 22 July, 2005 11:35 pm

    Dude, go for rural state U. They like you enough (already) to think about converting job to TT.

  4. 23 July, 2005 12:16 am

    Hail the conquering hero! Advice or something like it follows by personal email.

  5. 23 July, 2005 3:54 am

    wahoo!!!! how great! how will you decide?!!?

  6. 23 July, 2005 4:15 am

    Wow! What great news!!!! I’m sure you’ll make a good decision and what a feather in your cap to have two offers. I hope you’ll remember this moment for a long time (especially whenever you’re given to feeling that you’re not really one of the lions, as we all tend to feel somedays).

  7. 23 July, 2005 5:46 am

    Very good news. If it’s not a long move, it sounds like Rural State might be the better place to land, but don’t let the “might” convert to T-T promise get your hopes up too terribly much. I say that not because I think they wouldn’t want to have you as a fulltime colleague, but b/c departments often say one thing in the Spring and then forget what they said when the following Spring rolls around.Best of luck to you in deciding. You’re in a good place!

  8. 23 July, 2005 6:04 am

    Excellent! I raise my glass in salute to your good fortune, which is, of course, so richly deserved.

  9. 23 July, 2005 8:30 pm

    Yes. So richly deserved. And it’s always nice to see the deserving rewarded.This isn’t a game I chose to play, so I don’t know that my advice is worth much, but:1. State U with grad students trumps CC2. May convert without a new search is better than Will do new search and you’ll have to reapply.3. Pre-tenure, minimal preps beats more preps. You have to find time to write somewhen.But lets face it: having a choice of offers is a much better position to be in than you feared even a week and a half ago.

  10. 23 July, 2005 11:03 pm

    I agree with Jim on all points 1 through 3. It’s taking a chance but it offers so many more possibilities. It’s almost insulting for the one job to couch it in terms of “you will have to reapply” rather than “you will be eligible when it becomes tenure track” – that exposure of general atmosphere/attitude says something about the possibility of what they will be like when you join their faculty . . . Good luck – know you’ll make the right decision!

  11. 24 July, 2005 12:42 am

    When it rains, it pours! Follow your heart. 🙂

  12. 24 July, 2005 7:55 am

    Congrats!!!I say State U. But I agree with the commenter who said “follow your heart”–if your head is saying “State U” but the decision *feels* wrong, then don’t. But rationally, State U. is the better choice.

  13. 24 July, 2005 8:03 am

    IF one of the problems you’ve had on the job market this year is the perception that CC-based candidates “aren’t serious” (and I know better, but I’ve been on committees that didn’t), then making the application from State U will help. The problem is that you’ll be making the applications too soon for your new colleagues to provide meaningful references, so I’m not sure how much it helps.

  14. 24 July, 2005 5:31 pm

    Congratulations!

  15. 24 July, 2005 10:07 pm

    YEA!

  16. 24 July, 2005 11:43 pm

    A partial decision has been reached. The library really doean’t have what I need, but I can get it all on ILL. But you know, I just can’t move for a non-TT job when I have a job in town. It’s far too much stress and risk. I’ve told them so. The ball is in their court. I don’t think there is a bad decision here, and I hope they can make the contract changes to get me there. It seems like a very nice place otherwise, despite some trepidations about the very small size.

  17. 25 July, 2005 4:56 am

    We’ll be almost as anxious as you are to hear the result . . .

  18. 25 July, 2005 7:19 pm

    Congratulations, indeed!

  19. 26 July, 2005 3:46 pm

    Im late on this, but its GREAT to hear about offer #2 and that you seem to feel good about both!!

your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: